Bullet journaling has become a popular way for people to keep track of their to-do’s, habits and goals, and for many, it's taken over the traditional weekly planner. It’s really blown up as a creative trend as of late, with tons of people posting photos of their innovative layouts, spreads and ideas on Pinterest and Instagram. It is equally inspiring and intimidating!
If you're at all intrigued by this form of creative organization, we've got all the info you need to figure how to approach it and what you'll need to get started - whether you want to start slow or dive in head first!
Why Use a Bullet Journal?
- Bullet journals are perfect for those Type-A personalities who want and need to organize all the things, but can’t find a planner that gives them exactly what they need. They are completely customizable!
- They are also great for non type-Aers who are desperate to get their life in order. You can go as simple or hardcore as you want with it, so it works for literally everyone.
- If you’re a creative person and love coloring, doodling and hand lettering, bullet journals give you a place to express yourself and decompress through art and organization.
- They can be great for memory keeping! Write one thing down you want to remember each day or each week; write down funny things your kids say; write down what made you happy today.
- They are great for tracking habits and goals. Know you need to drink more water? Exercise more regularly? Keep track of the books you have read? A bullet journal is the perfect place to jot it all down!
Bullet Journal Samples and Ideas
Bullet Journal Options
Here’s the thing, I am a creative person; I’m also an impatient person and a perfectionist. I KNOW that if I start a bullet journal from scratch, I will end up feeling like it’s too time consuming because I will spend FOREVER searching for the perfect spread to emulate. And then I will hate how it turns out, because I’m Type-A. My gift is my curse (ha!)
Bullet Journal for Beginners
So I created a simple bullet journal-style yearly planner that has the hardest work already done! Boxes for each day of the week are already created, along with additional spots for you to fill in as you see fit. Some are titled and some are blank so you can customize it how you like depending on your week and your needs. To-do's, a shopping list, meal planning and looking ahead to next week are already included!
This planner comes with an uncustomized cover (see below), - HOWEVER, you can also choose “planner pages” as the page type for any "Pick Your Pages" notebooks found in our shop if you'd rather pick something else customized with your name!
Bullet Journals for the More Advanced
If you're the creative type that is ready to dive in and customize a journal precisely to fit your needs, then all of our "Pick Your Pages" notebooks come with the option for dot grid pages on the inside, so pick your favorite cover and get started!
Bullet Journal Supplies
Once you have your bullet journal picked out, there are a whole slew of supplies you can get to accompany it. A good set of pens, a mini ruler or stencils, washi tape and a pencil case are all good ideas. Get as many or as few as you'd like - the necessities are up to you!
*post contains affiliate links